Radio Diagnosis and Imaging
The Department of Radiology is well equipped with a range of state-of-the-art modern equipment to facilitate maximum precision in diagnosis and treatment.These include latest equipment for regular imaging along with 3D/4D/contrast, advanced Ultrasound and Doppler imaging, Digital X-ray and fluoroscopy.The Radiology Department also houses mammography units, multi-slice CT and MRI.
Caritas Hospital houses the only advanced Interventional Radiology Unit in the whole of Central Travancore. We offer a wide range of highly specialized, image-guided minimally invasive neuroradiology, vascular, oncology, hepato-biliary, urology and transplant intervention procedures for both for diagnosis and therapeutic purposes.
- Interventional Radiology outpatient clinic ( All weekdays)
- Cross consultation with other departments in procedural planning.
- 24-hour emergency Interventional Radiology services.
The Division of Interventional Radiology undertakes the following vascular and non-vascular procedures:
- Aspiration/ Percutaneous Catheter Drainage (PCD)
- Percutaneous Trans-hepatic Biliary Drainage (PTBD)
- Trans Arterial Chemoembolization (TACE)
- Embolisation and coiling (bronchial, GI bleed, uterine, traumatic, intracranial)
- Angioplasty/ Thrombolysis (GI, peripheral)
- Stenting (biliary, ureteric and vascular)
- Radio Frequency Ablation (RFA) in HCC, RCC, lung and bone tumours
- Varicose vein ablation and Injection Sclerotherapy
- Hepatic Venous Pressure Gradient Estimation (HVPG)
- Trans-jugular Liver Biopsy (TJLB)
- Trans-jugular Intrahepatic Porto-systemic Shunt (TIPS)
- Balloon-Occluded Retrograde Trans-venous Obliteration (BRTO) of Gastric Varices
These procedures, which require high expertise, are performed in only a few institutes in the whole of India. The Division of Interventional Radiology is the first in the state of Kerala to initiate the Trans-jugular Intra-hepatic Porto-systemic Shunt (TIPS) procedures in patients with liver cirrhosis. The credit for successfully conducting the highest number of TIPS procedures in Kerala also goes to our Interventional Radiology Division.