Radio Diagnosis and Imaging
The Department of Radiology is well equipped with a range of state-of-the-art modern equipment to facilitate maximum precision in diagnosis and treatment.These include latest equipment for regular imaging along with 3D/4D/contrast, advanced Ultrasound and Doppler imaging, Digital X-ray and fluoroscopy.The Radiology Department also houses mammography units, multi-slice CT and MRI.
Caritas Hospital houses the only advanced Interventional Radiology Unit in the whole of Central Travancore. We offer a wide range of highly specialized, image-guided minimally invasive neuroradiology, vascular, oncology, hepato-biliary, urology and transplant intervention procedures for both for diagnosis and therapeutic purposes.
- Interventional Radiology outpatient clinic ( All weekdays)
- Cross consultation with other departments in procedural planning.
- 24-hour emergency Interventional Radiology services.
The Division of Interventional Radiology undertakes the following vascular and non-vascular procedures:
- Aspiration/ Percutaneous Catheter Drainage (PCD)
- Percutaneous Trans-hepatic Biliary Drainage (PTBD)
- Trans Arterial Chemoembolization (TACE)
- Embolisation and coiling (bronchial, GI bleed, uterine, traumatic, intracranial)
- Angioplasty/ Thrombolysis (GI, peripheral)
- Stenting (biliary, ureteric and vascular)
- Radio Frequency Ablation (RFA) in HCC, RCC, lung and bone tumours
- Varicose vein ablation and Injection Sclerotherapy
- Hepatic Venous Pressure Gradient Estimation (HVPG)
- Trans-jugular Liver Biopsy (TJLB)
- Trans-jugular Intrahepatic Porto-systemic Shunt (TIPS)
- Balloon-Occluded Retrograde Trans-venous Obliteration (BRTO) of Gastric Varices
These procedures, which require high expertise, are performed in only a few institutes in the whole of India. The Division of Interventional Radiology is the first in the state of Kerala to initiate the Trans-jugular Intra-hepatic Porto-systemic Shunt (TIPS) procedures in patients with liver cirrhosis. The credit for successfully conducting the highest number of TIPS procedures in Kerala also goes to our Interventional Radiology Division.
Varian Unique Performance Linear Accelerator
Siemens Primus Plus Dual Energy Linear Accelerator
Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (RAPIDARC)
Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy-Step& Shoot and Dynamic (IMRT)
Three Dimensional Conformal Radiation Therapy (3DCRT)
Multi Leaf Collimator-Static& Dynamic (SMLC&DMLC: 58 and 120 Leaves)
Electronic Portal Imaging (EPID)
Virtual wedge &Enhanced Dynamic Wedge
6 MV Photon for Head& Neck and Thoracic Tumours
15 MV Photon for Pelvic& Abdomen Tumours
Electron Beam Therapy various energy (6, 9, 12, 15, 18& 21 MeV) for Skin& Superficial Tumours
Computerized Treatment Planning Systems
Eclipse v13.6: Contouring, Image Fusion (MRI& PET), 3DCRT, IMRT& RAPIDARC
Oncentra Masterplan: Brachytherapy
ARIA: Oncology Information System (OIS)
Varian exchange software (Vex)
4DITC& Coherence Therapist
Internal Radiation Therapy- Brachytherapy
Nucletron (ELEKTA) Microselectron High Dose Rate (HDR) Unit
Radioactive Source- Iridium 192 (10 Ci)